Max and Allie

Max  and Allie

Monday, July 25, 2011

Friends and raccoons



Hi Blogville Friends, Monday is memories day and I will get into some memories but first I would like to say to Sweet William the Scot I tried to get to your blog yesterday and when you click on your profile page there is no web site or blog to go to so it is a dead end. Does anyone know Sweet William???? If you do please tell me how to get to him!! Please!!

I have told this story 2 times before but for the new friends of mine the story about the feeding of the coons and possums....... I moved to this half built house on 3 acres of wooded land 38 years ago this month!! This land was in a pretty wild state when I moved here. I paid cash for this land and half built house. Have never had a mortgage on this land!!
Word of advice do not move into a unfinished house b/c if you do it will never get finished. There was so much wild life living here!!!!!!!!!!! They were every where!!! Including in the house. I was afraid of them all too.
I had two young boys. Well not so young . We made do with what we had and we had raccoons and possums. I tried to shoe them away. I tried for years but in the end I realized they were a big part of what I bought. So I started to put some table scraps out back about 200 ft from the house.
In 75 I bought 2 and one half acres of chain link fence to inclose a lot of my land. Then there was a back fence and a gate to keep the wild animals out of the patio and land I THOUGHT !! No it didn't!! It did not ever slow them down. So I started buying 50 lbs of dog food and started to feed them out back of the fence. I have feed hundreds in the last 30 years.......
You get to know them and they get to know you. There is no possums or coon that will attack you unless they have rabies. In 38 years of living with them I have only seen 2 sick animals. One possum had rabies and when you see one you know it has rabies!! I shot that poor baby. One coon was sick with distemper . We took him to the vets!! He lived through is sickness and was so happy to be home and feeling good he was real friendly after that!! You could almost say he was a pet.
I do not touch one unless I have know them for years and then only to doctor a wound. I have doctored many over the years!!! They seem to know that I would not hurt them!!! In 38 years no one has ever tried to hurt me!! So I would say from my experience they are not as dangerous as people think.
I said I would get to memories but I think I have said enough for one day.

Love coming your way, Fern

12 comments:

  1. Pioneer woman!!

    --Chan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing the stories of the coons and possums that came with your home! I'm glad you decided to accept the wildlife as part of the home you bought. I would love to live in a home that is surrounded by woods and wildlife. I always believe that if we treat animals with respect, they will not harm us (so far so good!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Miss Fern! Sweet William doesn't have a blog; he just leaves nice comments! I loved learning more about all your critters. Your dogs have never bothered them? They were sure lucky when you moved in!!

    Rottie Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Fern, our family wouldn't know what to do with wildlife. Even though we've always lived in the city, my dad and mom have seen coyotes, skunks, raccoons run across streets and parks. My brother Owen got sprayed by a baby skunk a couple of years ago when he found it in our backyard. Now my dad goes out ahead of everyone to make sure "the coast is clear" before letting us out in the yard. Anyways I hope all is well your way and that your feel are all better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! Love our friends outside too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Miss Fern, I know Sweet William the Scot.. he just lives about 3 1/2 hours from ME... He does NOT have a Blog. BUTT he is GRRRRREAT. He sprinkles our blogs with the mostest Wonderful comments and such.
    I just LOVE these furfolks that Follow US. It is the grrrreatest mostest flattering thingy I can ever imagine!! I am glad that he found YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Fern! Hope you and all the critters at your house are staying cool. The only way Tootie and I chill is by staying inside! Can't wait for fall.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mom totally agrees with you, Fern. She and dad have been working on our house forever and they'll never be finished!


    Love ya lots
    Maggie and Mitch

    ReplyDelete
  9. I heard a story that when my Grandpa was a little boy, he once found some baby raccoons whose mother had died, and he bottle fed them until they were old enough to go off on their own. He always wanted a pet skunk, but his mom said "no way!"

    Bunny

    ReplyDelete
  10. Miss Fern you know I never get tired of hearing the story about the racoons, I still remember the first time I saw the pics of them eating dog food! Love it!!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi,
    I just found your blog through my friend Ceekay's blog. I love wildlife and have enjoyed seeing so many new birds and animals such arriving in south Florid,a from Arizona, in March. I love your pictures and stories. Thanks for sharing!
    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved the memories! And you are so right...if you choose to live near the animals, you have to learn to live WITH the animals.

    ReplyDelete